View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 01:29 PM
quiltingcandy

The only thing I have gotten rid of and never regretted was my painting supplies (I have no talent when it comes to painting and hated everything I did). My crochet and sewing take up the rest of the room and when I am gone then my family can do with it as they please. When we tried to get my mom to down size it was because she and my dad saved every plastic bag they brought home and didn't repurpose. (There were so many bags of bags it was crazy - but the thrift store said they wanted them, they would repurpose them.) And my mom had a different color of Keds for every pair of pants she owned, but stopped wearing Keds when they didn't give her the support she needed. They collected art and had so much every room in the house was covered, and under all the beds and in all the closets, etc. But it meant something to them so my sisters and I never said word one. They had so many little bronze statutes we gave them to people that admired them. (Oh and they had every check they wrote in 59 years and the pay checks. You never know when you will need that check from 1952 for groceries.....)

A friend of mine collected antique furniture - all different kinds, but she has a room so full, it is stacked and and hanging in the garage, etc. Her daughter told her to get rid of it because she didn't want to deal with it when she is gone. It upset my friend and I said to enjoy it and ignore her. Once she is gone, that if her daughter is foolish enough to just give it away, so be it, it will make someone else happy. But if my friend ever needs the money, she can sell it knowing it won't matter to anyone else.

I am 62, no one knows when the horn is going to blow, so enjoy what you can and what happens after won't really matter.