View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Carm

I am self taught as well. When I started sewing and quilting I don't think there were many, if any, classes near my rural area. And anyways, I didn't have the extra money to spend on classes. I bought a book on quilting and questioned anyone in my family who had ever quilted or helped to quilt. My great-grandmother( who was deceased at that time), my grandmother, aunt and my husbands grandmother gave me some tips on putting a quilt in to a frame and knotting the thread and snapping in to the batting and that's about it. I watched the few sewing shows, two shows I think at that time. I made my first quilt in 1986! I, too, could take a class now if I wanted to but I would rather buy the fabric and a quilting book and figure it out on my own!
Originally Posted by Boston1954
I mean you NEVER took a class. Everything you know about quilting is from trial and error, or books and television.

The reason I never took a class is because when I started out, I did not know they had them. By the time I realized it, I pretty much knew my way around the sewing machine. I still could take one, but now I would rather spend the $$ on more fabric. ;)