View Single Post
Old 05-13-2017, 07:23 AM
Bren

Fort Worth, Texas, "Where the West Begins" is my hometown. This area has so much history relating back to the early days of cattle drives,stockyards, and dance halls. The area north of downtown is actually called The Stockyards, and there is a cattle drive each day for visitors to enjoy.

Although FTW is really a large city in a very large metro area (and growing by leaps and bounds), it manages to retain a friendly, homey western vibe of which we are proud. There are so many things to see and do here, and I will list just a few.

For nature lovers we have wonderful parks along the Trinity River as well as the Botannic Gardens which is very special and lovely year round. There are lots of hiking, biking, and walking trails where everything from bobcats to coyotes to alligators have been spotted! There are several large lakes nearby for camping, fishing and boating.

There is every type of "fest" you can imagine including Mayfest with all types of entertainment and exhibits. We have world class museums and art galleries, the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra, the ballet, and Bass Hall for plays and musicals.

There are several large malls for shopping as well as lots of small, independent mom-and-pop type stores selling everything you can imagine. One of my favorites is Pendary's which sells all types of chilies and herbs and spices from around the world. Just walking in the door is a sensory overload and a foodie's dream!

AND the whole area is a Quilter's Dream! There is actually a shop by that name. I especially love Cabbage Rose, but there are many more in the area. We also have several quilt guilds in the area and several quilt shows throughout the year. In addition, there are lots of thrift shops, trade shows, flea markets, and garage sales. I really love estate sales, and we do have some very fine antique stores in the area.

There are beautiful churches, cathedrals, synagogues and mosques here with every religion represented. Restaurants and eateries abound from 5 star to street corner taco places, and there is barbeque everywhere. The night life is pretty lively, but at my age, 68, I have been there, done that, and pretty much stay home at night! Our evening entertainment is usually a backyard barbeque or wine on the patio with friends.

For sports fans, we have the Dallas Cowboys, who actually play in Arlington which is located in Tarrant County of which FTW is the county seat. We also have Texas Rangers baseball, Texas Motor Speedway for racefans and the list would not being complete without mention the Stock Show and Rodeo which happens in January and draws in rodeo lovers from all over. There are all types of special events supporting all types of causes. People here tend to be very civic minded and generous.

Sounds like heaven, except in the summer when it's hotter than h---! That's when we hunker down, crank up the A/C and stay near a pool. But, winters are very mild.

Hope you have enjoyed this virtual tour. We really enjoy living here as you can tell. Welcome to Texas anytime!