View Single Post
Old 05-13-2017, 07:46 AM
sewbizgirl
Power Poster

Come to Mississippi! If you like Civil War history, we are rich with it. We have the Battlefield Park in Vicksburg... amazing. And the town of Natchez is a treasure trove of antebellum and Victorian homes. You can tour many of the houses for a small fee and it's always free to walk the streets of the old downtown and gawk at the houses there. The people who live there are used to it! I love that city.

We have beautiful state parks if you like camping, and antique stores in every town. My favorite antique malls near me are the 49 South Antique Mall and the Magnolia Flea Market, side by side on hwy 49 in Star, MS. There's great ice cream available right down the road at Donna's Produce Market.

One of the best things that happens in MS (if you like Celtic music) is the Celtic Fest in Jackson. It's held every Sept. at the Agriculture Museum. http://celticfestms.org/wp/ There are at least 5 stages with performances going on at once, changing every hour. And the cost for the whole weekend (Fri night thru Sunday) is about $15! There is always a Ceili (Celtic dance) on the Saturday night.

There are some fabric stores here but none that I would call a major attraction such as Marshalls or Hancocks of Paducah... most major in selling machines and minor in fabric.

We also have the beautiful Natchez Trace Parkway, where the speed limit for cars is 50 mph, strictly enforced. It keeps most traffic away, except the ones that are there to see the scenery and enjoy the ride. It's a great place to ride a motorcycle or bikes. Lots of historic markers along the way. It once was an Indian footpath! Then, a dirt road that was traveled to get to the Mississippi river to travel by boat to New Orleans or points further.

Mississippi is a very beautiful state, with our history well preserved.