View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 03:52 PM
simpsonfs

Originally Posted by larkitecht View Post
So I'm quilting my very first quilt—yay! I just got my walking foot today and it seems to be doing fine on test fabric, but when it comes to moving the actual quilt through (it's a throw size... I was a little overambitious) it seems to 'catch'. I have to push the quilt to keep it from stitching the same spot over and over, and the stitches it's making are tiny and irregular even with stitch length cranked up to 5. Is this normal? I'm making sure the quilt isn't snagged on anything and I'm supporting the weight so I don't think that's what's stopping it. My impression was that with FMQ you have to push and steer the fabric, but with a walking foot the machine should 'pull' everything through for you. Help!

Edit: I'm working on a Brother CS6000—is it possible that it just doesn't have the power to move something so sturdy?
It sounds like to me you need to oil your walking foot. It has moving parts just like your sewing machine and needs maintenance. Use nothing but sewing machine oil and oil inside and outside the attachment. Let sit overnight and then sewing on scraps to make sure so oily stain comes on your scrap. I've have had to do this several times.