View Single Post
Old 05-20-2017, 09:27 AM
quiltlady1941

Default Oh boy what a mistake by me!!

I was asked to make a quilt for a young boy, his love is Dinosaurs. I found some great fabric at JoAnn's and it was on sale so that was good. I bought all the fabric to go with the quilt at that time. I took it home and washed all the fabric for the quilt.

I decided to make Warm Wishes Quilt as after looking up here different ones said it was a good quilt to focus on a fabric. (the dinosaurs) After making all the blocks, I laid out the blocks on my bed, and really didn't like how it looked for some reason the green fabric didn't make the dinosaur fabric pop. So I laid out some brown fabric also from JoAnn's. it was country classic in a dark brown. I liked that much better so I ripped out all the green strips and sewed in the brown fabric, I really like how this look much better.

Ok here is my problem, after going to bed and laying there thinking about the quilt, I realized that the brown fabric WASN'T washed! Oh no! so seeing that the quilt is all sewed together already all but the boarders, I really didn't know what to do.. So I wash a piece of the brown fabric and I measured it before , it was only a strip of 3x7, I was safe as far as the bleeding goes, but the fabric shrunk about 1/4 inch all-around. So is this going to distort the quilt after it Is quilted and finish then washed.Is there anything I could do to stop this, I sure hate to rip it all out and then buy more brown fabric and wash it and resew the quilt, I'm ready to toss this top and start over, but I would have to buy more fabric and that would double my cost of the quilt, which I can't pass on to the lady that asked me to make the quilt. She is just paying for the fabric and not my time, which is fine with me.

So can anyone tell me a solution to this problem? What would you do? Help! Please!
Attached Thumbnails img_1743.jpg   img_1744.jpg