View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 10:22 AM
Pennyhal

Originally Posted by applique View Post
I have been doing applique the way you described for more years than I care to count. Most of the paper backed fusibles like those mentioned above are just fine. They do not gum up the needle. Misty fuse is not paper backed so if you want to use it you need to use parchment paper as the backing for the fusible web. The Eleanor Burns technique is not good for detailed applique like McKenna Ryan or Toni Whitney (two of my favorite designers). You should have a template of the finished motif and the pieces should be reversed for tracing. You trace the pieces,rough cut around each piece (not on the line). Then you pick your fabric for each piece (I use batiks because they are tightly woven and have no front or back). Iron the pieces to the back of the fabric if there is a front and back. Now you cut out the pieces on the line, remove the paper backing and put them in place (the parchment paper is on top of the template so you can see it underneath the parchment paper). This is just how I do it, there are many variations.
Thanks for the detailed info. That will help me get the results I want!