Old 05-21-2017, 05:17 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Are you thinking of collecting quilts to be distributed during disaster relief? Or are you thinking of raising money for disaster relief? If the latter, are you thinking of auctioning the quilts, or .....

Honestly, quilts are not a great way to raise money. They typically auction for less than the cost of the materials in them. Probably the best way to raise money with quilts is to make one that is then raffled off. You need to live in a state where such raffles are legal, and you need to meet the requirements of a raffle, but that is usually pretty easy. It helps to take a good color photo of the quilt and then print up flyers with the quilt on them. You need as many people as possible willing to sell raffle tickets for the quilt -- the more sellers, the better. And you need to allow enough time for raffle tickets to be sold -- again, longer is better.

Personally, I would not contribute a quilt or even quilt blocks to disaster relief. If I wanted to donate, I would rather donate money. In my case, I would also have to be convinced that the money would go where it is supposed to go. There are so many charity scams out there, I won't give to a good cause without doing some research on it first.

I'm curious about why you would want to do this.