View Single Post
Old 05-22-2017, 12:39 PM
kristakz

Default Don't use old sewing machine oil

I suppose we all know this, but I now have personal proof as to why even slightly discoloured sewing machine oil should not be used.

I have been fighting with my longarm machine for ages. Every time I oiled it, the tension would be a mess and I'd have to fight with it to get it back in line. Rethreading didn't work. It didn't matter if it was a new bobbin or a half-full one I'd just pulled out. Every time I oiled the machine, I had to work at it to fix the tension. I'd scribble back and forth on spare fabric to try to work it out. Adjusting the tension didn't work, but eventually it would fix itself (sometimes with a loud snap) and I'd be fine until the next time.

I took it in for service, and they couldn't reproduce the problem. I finally resigned myself to this being a 'feature' of my machine that I would have to live with. Oiling was relegated to once only, as I started a quilt. Not a good policy, since the norm is to oil every 2 bobbins, and a large quilts takes upwards of 5. But it was working for me, somewhat.

But today I had fresh oil, so as I loaded my next quilt I used it in my longarm - precisely one oiling of the bobbin race. And I could not believe the difference! Not a SINGLE issue with tension. It was beautiful, and the tension never flinched.

So the moral here, ladies and gentlemen, is don't keep using that discoloured oil in your machine. Invest in fresh oil as often as necessary (a whole $5 this bottle cost me). You might not realize what's happening, but your machine will thank you.