Old 05-23-2017, 01:43 PM
rryder

Are you quilting it on a long arm on a frame, or using either a sit down LA or a domestic machine?

I can't speak to using any of those threads on a LA on a frame, but if you're using a domestic machine or sit down, then:

You could also consider a 100 wt. silk--very strong, nice sheen. And if you have areas where there will be a lot of thread build up it doesn't become overwhelming with this weight thread.

I haven't tried Superior's new 100 wt. polyester yet, but I have used Wonderfil's 100 wt polyester and loved it.

Metallics- depending on the brand and your machine, some are a bit of a pain for FMQ. That can be handled in a variety of ways including using a metallic needle, fiddling around with placement on the spool holder of your machine, lowering your top tension quite a bit.

Ricky Tims- multi thread- I'm not sure about those, have never used them. I have used his Razzle Dazzle (made by Superior Threads and also YLI's thread that is similar. If the multi-threads have the thickness or unevenness (bumps) of either of those two, then you'd need to put them in your bobbin and flip the quilt over to quilt it--which I have done and had a lot of fun with, but as intricate as your design is, I wouldn't recommend it.

I have used High sheen poly made by Melrose and it's lovely, but it's thickness (40 wt. I think) might be too much for the areas where you are doing the small pebbles or the microstipples.

I have also used Madeira's Rayon-- it is very beautiful and strong enough to handle the stresses of FMQ on a domestic machine, but it is about the same thickness as the Melrose poly, so I think it would also be overwhelming for areas where you are doing small pebbles or microstippling. The other drawback to the Rayon is that it may not be a good choice if your quilt will be used and washed frequently since Rayon isn't as strong as either poly, silk or cotton.

Play around with them all on a sample if you have enough spare fabric to do a sample or two of your design (which is lovely) to see which thread weights and materials you like where.

Rob