View Single Post
Old 05-24-2017, 10:30 AM
Faintly Artistic

Default My $2 design wall

Hello everyone, as I've gotten more into quilting this last year or so, I have seen the need for a design wall but wasn't about to spend the $$ to buy one. I tried several different cheap ideas, and finally landed on this.[ATTACH=CONFIG]573559[/ATTACH]
I bought a cheap fleece throw blanket from the dollar store for $2, it measures about 50"x56". We had some heavy duty cardboard panels from ordering solar panels for our RV. Hubby used packing tape to tape them together which created a "hinge" so I can fold it and store it away. Attached the throw to the cardboard with 3 binder clips. It won't hold a huge quilt, but will hold a small quilt or a bunch of squares for a bigger one. Quick, cheap, portable...works for me since I sew in our formal dining room. Also, the fleece blanket was cheaper than batting or flannel yardage and everything sticks really well.

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a second-hand room divider/screen. One side can be decorative, the other can have the cheap fleece permanently mounted on it. Then, if we have folks over and need the big dining table, I can set my machine, etc in a corner of the room (it's a big room), put the screen in front of it so my current project will be tucked invisibly away, then moved back out when company leaves.
Attached Thumbnails design-wall.jpg