Old 05-26-2017, 05:19 PM
Faintly Artistic

Default Easy, no waste Granny Square block tutorial Part 2

Here is part 2 of the Granny Square tutorial...
I have the main 9 patches put together, so now it's time to sew the secondary 9 patches. It is very easy to lose your place and sew them together wrong (ask me how I know...I actually have only sewn 3 together wrong so far). It's handy to keep your design board close by and only work on 1 at a time. I laid out the 4 that surround the secondary blocks so that I could see which colors went where and worked from the top left across each row.[ATTACH=CONFIG]573677[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]573678[/ATTACH]
The rows are numbered 1 through 9 top to bottom. The letters are from left to right. Keep doing this until you have all the secondary blocks done. You will notice that you take the first 2 from rows 1 and 2 1A, 1B, 2A and 2B. Then it will be 1B, 1C, 2B and 2C.

FYI, that blue leaf print in the 2nd picture is not an accident , but some in some of the rounds I have used a similar color, different print.

Part 3 will be how to make the setting triangles around the edges to make the quilt square. They're not your typical triangles, since each one will need to have a couple of colored squares in them to finish out the pattern.

If anything is unclear, please ask and I will try and help. It really makes sense once you get going and can see it for yourself.

Thanks for looking and happy sewing!
Attached Thumbnails gs-tute-5.jpg   gs-tute-6.jpg