View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 06:52 PM
Peckish

Originally Posted by newBe View Post
I am wishing to obtain an inexpensive mechanical sewing machine to do straight-stitch even stitching of variable lengths. A new machine is preferable. I enjoy piecing only. Model suggestions?
What price point would you consider "inexpensive"?

Originally Posted by newBe View Post
I've been searching at Goodwill, Estate Sales, Thrift Shops, and Yard Sales for about a month, and am thinking a new machine is the way to go for me at this time.
Please do not discount the used machine market. I purchased a wonderful machine, a used Brother PQ1500 from another quilter who was upgrading to a full-sized longarm. It's a mechanical straight-stitch only and it's a workhorse. A new one runs about $700-$800. I purchased it for $400. I own 7 machines and it's my favorite.

Try looking for a used machine at your local sewing machine dealers, and let people in your local guilds and quilt shops know that you're in the market.

Also, check into reconditioned machines. Years ago, my husband bought a reconditioned machine from Overstock.com for $300. It came with a full warranty. It worked beautifully and was my "daily driver" for years until I bought the PQ1500.