View Single Post
Old 05-31-2017, 02:50 AM
QuiltnNan
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
my quilt guild tries very hard to engage kids in sewing and quilting--they are our future! So I'm really excited that during 2017 we will have our annual Kid's Camp in June--it's free, kids are given a free kit of supplies for a project that is easily done during the 1/2 day "camp"! Kids come with a sewing adult and we feed them (pizza) at the end. We usually get about 25 kids of all ages, boys and girls, with this.

Then last year we added a Kid's Corner to the county fair--again, all free, on a drop-in basis, and this time, we supply the sewing adult. We sometimes get an adult seeking out info on our Guild at this, too.

And this year, we are the guild hosting the kids class at a big show, the KC Regional Quilt Fest--it's a first for a kid's class, and again Thanks To Paint Brush Studio fabrics, kids will have free admission (if taking the class) and a free kit for a tote bag! So far we have 7 kids signed up for that--it's been slower, we our thinking is that every effort with kids has to start somewhere!

If you are in a guild I highly recommend that you consider trying any of these events--we really have fun with the kids and many grow up to be strong guild members!
this is a terrific idea. i'm going to share it with my guild's planners