View Single Post
Old 06-01-2017, 02:39 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Are you looking for something kind of ho hum generic or a high end used machine? As mentioned Singer 201 or 401 - both were top of the line when new. Elna made a nice machine, quirky if you get a green one but the stitches are great. They even made a straight stitch only machine. The singer 500 is really cool. There are some old machines I love that aren't high end but the beat the Janome I got rid of and are cheap. Try an old Japanese straight stitch. There are people around just about any city who refurbish them including me. Or you can refurbish one yourself. Once refurbished they may last a very long time. Nope they aren't going to cut your thread etc but they can be very cool to look at, too. Old Necchi machines can be very cool. Let's see, old Singer, Old Elna, old Necchi, old Pfaff, old Bernina, old Kenmore, old Japanese you name it they will outlast anything new. How about a treadle. Now wires to worry about and you get exercise. There are all different makes of really cool old treadle machines. How about a hand crank. Again no wires and if you can lift - it's portable. Whether or not you can refurbish an old machine or not you will have to eventually maintain what ever you do buy. Why not learn on a garage sale find? Not much to lose.