Old 06-03-2017, 06:52 AM
rryder

Default Labels for quilts-- embroider or print???

Hey all,
I've been printing labels for my quilts using fabric that goes through my ink jet printer, then heat setting it. But from what I can tell by reading the instructions it may not be able to handle a lot of washing even after heat setting.

therefore, I've been thinking about an embroidery machine to do my labels. I don't do anything fancy, just the 1. title of the quilt (or the occasion and name of the recipient if it was made for someone in particular). Then, 2. pieced and quilted by me with dates of completion) then 3. My address, phone number and email.

These labels are usually pretty small, no more than 2" x 3" when printed. So for folks who have embroidery machines, would I be able to make that size labels with all the info on them, or does the stitching take up more room on the label than the printing does? I don't want to spend a lot of money since I don't anticipate doing anything other than labels with an embroidery machine.

Machines I am considering are the smaller Brothers, perhaps going up to the size of the PE770.

alternatively I could possibly use the built in fonts in my sewing machine, or maybe there is some way to reliably set the ink jet print so it is wash fast??.?

Any thoughts y'all might have would be greatly appreciated.

Rob