View Single Post
Old 06-03-2017, 03:51 PM
roguequilter

chasing hawk ..i too live in the pacific northwest. i don't know where you live, but where i am the exceptionally long wet winter & now below normal temps & more rain than normal has caused a nightmare situation re: all types of flying, crawling monsters. tiny tho they be ..they are monsters! for knats, whitefly, mosquitos, wasps, spiders & everything else i don't want in my yard or around my house i use pyrithrin. find it in farm store over in area with sprays etc to control flies etc in stalls & areas inhabited by farm animals. it is derived from ?daisys? ..is organic & nontoxic to birds, pets & humans. it kills insects by interfereing with nervous system. they clean themselves & ingest it. i sprayed my yard & house two weeks ago, mosquitos had become so noxious that i couldn't go outside at all. next day was completely bug free. i live on a river with massive wildlands across from me. trees, swamps etc ..so ..i'll be needing to spray again in this unusual weather ..but the pyrythrin works! i spray Only when no wind & late afternoon, early evening when good insects/polinaters are inactive. i also don't let my dogs on it until it is dry. spray in sections so they can go out & do their thing, then next day spray another section. my own paranoia regarding all things used to kill bugs/weeds/molds etc. i hate using these things ..but i need to where i live. my grands came out the week after i sprayed and had a great time w/o swarms of mosquitos, yellow jackets and other epi-pen threatening badies.

i neglected to say ...
i spray the grass, all shrubs, trees as high as my extended spray wand can reach. over edge of roof and along faucets, all surfaces of house. with mosquitos in my lawn a few years ago, as well as whitefly & little knats i started spraying the grass along w everything else. i use a three gallon backpack sprayer. takes about 4 tanks to do front of house, my large front yard and greenery plus lawns. lasts for several months on normal year ..this year i plan to spray again in a month or whenever things start getting bad again.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-15-2018 at 02:13 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps