View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 05:49 AM
OurWorkbench

We had a small meeting of the Colorado Vintage Sewing Machine Enthusiasts, Saturday the 10th, at Perkins in south Denver. Diane came from the south, Cheryl came from the north. Courtney is in Connecticut this month and several others were unable to attend. But we had a good talk among the small group.

Diane Brought a sample of fabric with several high quality reproductions of various Singer sewing machines. She also brought several half square triangles from a block exchange, with notes about the machine used to sew the square on each one. Quite a variety of machines, even one done with a chain stitch.

Janey brought a Kenmore buttonholer to show Cheryl. Probably from the early eighties, it features top changeable cams.

The subject of sewing machine movements came up again. Cheryl and I talked about rotary hooks which go around once vs. twice. She pointed out that a Singer 115 she has uses a single rotation of the hook for each needle stroke. I had thusfar only noticed this with White Rotary and our relatively newly acquired Junker & Ruh. Most rotary machines go around twice.

Diane asked about a Free Model 5. Being unfamiliar with it, Janey came up with the following picture from her repository of sewing machine info. We don't have this machine, so a picture is all I have to go on. It is said to have a very good feel to it. Perhaps some of you on QB have more knowledge, or even an actual machine.

The caption with the picture was "Is it a rotary or a vibrating shuttle?" While there is a novel mechanism for swinging the shuttle back an forth, it still seems like a vibrating shuttle to me, just a different method of moving it.

We're hoping to have more of the people back next month. More then.

John & Janey

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-11-2017 at 06:18 AM. Reason: remove copyright image, should have used link