View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 09:37 PM
quiltingshorttimer

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Why does the cost of the space (ex. $2500.00) have to be so high for vendors? I would imagine the vendors have their own liability insurance.......seems the one making $$$$ is the facility........
I'm involved in one of 14 sponsoring guilds that organize the Kansas City Regional Quilt Fest (this coming week, June 15-17 In Overland Park, KS at the Convention Center) Vendor booths cost $600 (think this is for a double but may be wrong there) and then there is extra fee for electricity & wifi. Vendors get a table (can rent more) but otherwise have to bring in all their shelving, racks, etc. Insurance is included in the vendor fee. This show is in it's 2nd "year"--it's held every other year with the first one being in 2015. My guild rented a booth in 2015 and felt that our profit was enough that we wanted a larger booth for this year. We have over 135 vendors scheduled for this next week.

In our first show in 2015, the vendors were very pleased with the turn out (about 8,000 over 3 days) and the profits--partly due to crowd, partly due to low booth fees. and with over 700 quilts this show, and great classes starting Wed afternoon-Sat. and a great facility, we totally expect at least as many visitors this year.

Now, it's important to remember that part of the reason that vendor fees are lower is that the 14 guilds DO ALL THE WORK!(part of the reason it's only every other year!) Planning starts as soon as the show is over--setting dates and organizing committees. Each guild takes on a task for the show--PR, quilt displays, classes, merchandise, white-glove, hanging quilts & take down, parking and facility, etc. Judging from my involvement in that, I can see why for-profit organizations that are paying personnel for all this end up charging so much. There are literally HOURS of prep for a big show--and it doesn't end once the show starts. some of the participating guilds are large (ours is 180+) and some smaller (35)so each guild is assigned an task that matches their membership.

Regarding the vendor booths--I can totally see why many shops do not participate in shows--even as a guild that is not paying employees to work a booth or keep a shop opened, its a huge undertaking. usually for a show this size, vendors have to commit about 2 years ahead of time. And getting all the supplies really means the need for a box van--or many, many pick-up trucks! And if you are coming in to a city from very far and don't have a mobile home, there are about 3-4 nights of hotel and food expenses too. Anyway--with all that, it's a wonder that any vendors go to any show! So if you go to shows--buy something!!