View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 07:26 AM
Sewnoma

I grew up helping my gran make quilts, and most of her quilts were very boxy things; trip around the world is the pattern she made most often.

So my first quilt was basically same thing. I decided on red black & white as my colors, and bought a whole bunch of fat quarters and 1/8th cuts and made myself a scrappy, blocky quilt. My seams didn't match up very well but that's OK.

My problem was I kept deciding to make it bigger. It was going to be a throw. Then I decided to make it large enough for my queen size bed. But before I finished it, we upgraded to a King. Not knowing how things were done, I bought a 120" square batting and thought that meant the quilt top had to be same size.

Next thing I know I have a quilt that's a full ten feet in each direction, far larger than any space I had to lay it out to sandwich it. It sat for about 2 years until we had flooring redone, and I took advantage of the empty living room to finally sandwich the thing.

THEN I decided...in for a penny, in for a pound...and decided to FMQ the massive thing. That took me a couple months.

Finally done, I put in on our bed...and it was HUGE. Our bed is platform style and low to the ground - the quilt puddled on the ground on all 4 sides. D'oh!!

SO I ended up cutting about a foot off from each side & 2 feet from the bottom, re-bound the 3 edges, and called it good.

So in the end it took me something like 3-1/2 years to make that quilt, but I started & finished other quilts in between so I'm not sure if it really counts as my first quilt. It's the first one I STARTED, but not the first one I FINISHED!