Thread: binding foot?
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2017, 05:04 AM
farmquilter

Originally Posted by Cactus Stitchin View Post
I have seen the advertisements for this foot but after reading the notes I'm not sure how well it would work for quilting so have not made the leap to purchase one. Guess I'm waiting until someone else tries it first!

"*Note: This binding foot works best for sewing projects with 1-2 layers of lightweight or medium-weight cotton fabric. It can be used for binding thin quilts with low-loft battings which are flatter and thinner (and NOT with battings with high loft, which are thick and fluffy). Because you DO need to feed the whole quilt sandwich into the slot of your binding foot..."
Original attachments can be found in every OLD/ANTIQUE sewing machine box. Back then the ladies used it to put the bias trim on aprons, to cover fabric edges which gave a 'fancy' look.

As for using to bind a quilt, just how does one deal with a corner. Must the quilt be completely removed and then fold over the raw edge and then start again, doing the same for each side of the quilt. Am not seeing that look would be as nice as how I do my corners, sewing on the back or front and then turning to the other side to stitch down.

Do a test on a 12" square sandwich, only sewing it on each side to find out how you might do the corner and see if you like the look at every corner. You can not turn a corner like using your machine foot alone.