Thread: binding foot?
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2017, 06:08 AM
bcsews

Default Re: binding foot

Because I have been researching this same subject I thought I would comment. Both Bernina and Janome have come out with special binding feet recently, which got me interested. And they must be special at almost $300 MSRP. But I started doing research on binders because I thought it would be helpful in finishing charity quilts and things like placemats and pot holders. Yes they are only single layer fabric. Some of the ladies at my guild use single layer bindings all the time so that shouldn't be an issue. You could possibly use two layers of fabric before folding it to make it double. Clover makes bias binding folders to help with that process.

After doing a lot of searching I found one option that looks like it would work for quilts. There may be others, so I am not trying to sell something here. If you google: "Sailrite binders" you will find a site that sells binders for sails etc. they aren't adjustable so you need to buy the size that you will use most or buy more than one. I have asked them several questions regarding the use of these binders on domestic machines. They will work on any machine that has the two screw holes on the bed as shown in the video. Nearly all older machines have those mounting holes. My Juki TL98e has them for example. Don't know about new machines. I am considering purchasing one and putting it on one machine and leaving it there for that purpose. I know my old singer collection would love the job. These binders cost about $69 I believe.

If you get a chance to go look I would love to see other's opinions of this attachment.

If you go online to look at the Bernina binder the video shows how they do corners. I think you could do those with this binder with practice or you could just round the corners and sew continuous.

Barb in Kansas

Last edited by bcsews; 06-15-2017 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Adding information