Thread: By the pound??
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 06:59 AM
Joanie2

I thought I'd add my 2 cents here. 1 1/2 yrs ago I was asked to help the daughter of a quilter to help sell her mother's stash. Because a lot of it was already in gallon size bags or project bags it was easier to sell. She decided on a 3 day open house and we let the 3 neighboring quilt guilds know when and where. We set out large bins and labeled them from $1 to $15. Small sandwich baggies stuffed full were $1; quart size $5. Groups of fat quarters stuffed gallon size bags for $15. There were 2 gallon project baggies with everything needed to complete it for $20-35 and some that even had the backing for $40. Finished quilts were sold from $35 to $100 based on the design and complexity. Rulers, patterns and books priced from 25 Cents to $2. So many other quilt related items. What didn't sell for full asking price on day 1 was reduced and anything left over was donated to the local guilds for their charity quilts. Everyone was happy. The daughter was able to clean out her mother's house knowing her mother's quilt stuff was appreciated, the buyers all got bargains and the guilds got donations. Good luck with your friend's stash. Sometimes it's not so much about the money as it is about the process of letting go. For me personally, I've let my
husband know which of my quilting friends are willing to take over this process and they are to get first dibs with the stipulation that each much make one nice quilt for a charity of their choice...vets, cancer survivors, humane society, etc. I do agree that $12 a pound is too much and I would pass that by.