Thread: Airplane Seats
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 05:38 PM
nellebelles

I used to love to fly, but after a couple of really bad experiences I don't even like to think of it. I don't like to recline--for one thing, the seats don't really recline enough to get any rest. And I don't like to bother anyone behind me--I would be too self-conscious worrying about if I was in their space to be able to sleep...
What happened to make me so afraid of flying now? There was a flight I was on, where the take-off was delayed--of course, AFTER we were already aboard. There was something wrong with the plane, and all the power was shut off. That also meant that there was absolutely no air flow through the plane either. I was sitting between two great big guys, who may or may not have bathed before the flight, but were sweating nonetheless. The air quickly got stagnant and from there got downright unbreathable. I tend to be claustrophobic anyway, and without any airflow and being blocked in between two big guys, it was all I could do not to freak out! I remember just sitting there, counting to distract my mind, talking to myself to get through it all.
Another time, I had requested an aisle seat, because after the above experience, I figured that it would be easier to manage if I was on the aisle. There were no aisle seats left, and the ticket agent said it would be best if I could talk the person on the aisle seat into trading spaces with me. Well, I was in the window seat and I saw a slim, very attractive woman coming down the aisle. I was delighted that she sat next to me and then just about lost it when her husband came down the aisle after her. He must have weighed about 350 pounds. He filled up that seat and I couldn't even see past him. I kept looking out the window to keep myself under control. Fortunately, it was a short flight. Now if I HAVE to fly anywhere, I do it with medication. A very nice anti-anxiety medication gets me through, but then when I get to where I'm going, I am drowsy from the "rescue" drug... :cry: