Thread: Sergers
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2017, 08:55 AM
cashs_mom

Originally Posted by Prism99
I have seen pieced quilts done on a serger. Tried a couple myself. The problem with using a serger for piecing is that it's just not very accurate. If using a serger, typically you want to do a quilt that has very large pieces and/or do as much piecing as you can in long strip sets. Also, the serger adds a lot more thread to the seams than a sewing machine does, making the seams much more bulky. Although it's possible to piece quilts on a serger, almost all quilters prefer using a sewing machine.

The same problems apply to attaching borders and binding. It is not easy to achieve accuracy, and the seams are considerably bulkier.

I don't even like to serge the edges of a quilt before binding, which is probably the most common use of a serger by quilters. I did not like the stiffness it added to the edge of the quilt.
I agree with Prism. I have a serger and have used it fairly extensively for clothing construction, but even then I chose not to use it sometimes because of the added bulk of 4 threads wrapping the edges of the fabric. I don't think I'd like it for quilting and I'm not sure what the advantage would be as the raw edges are always wrapped in other fabrics so raveling isn't something you'd have to worry about.