Thread: Quilt Shows
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 07:00 AM
HettyB

Default Quilt Shows

Just an interesting talking point…

Our large-ish quilt group has decided to stop arranging coach/bus trips to the major quilt shows. We discussed why many didn’t want to go and/or have stopped going to quilt shows altogether.

1. Cost of entry ticket plus coach ticket too expensive. Cheaper to go alone or carpool; timings (too long on a bus; can’t attend any workshops, stay too long, leave too early)
  2. Shows are too crowded
  3. Not enough places to sit down and overpriced refreshments
  4. Can’t see the quilts through the stalls and crowds
  5. Long queues to pay for items
  6. Too many computerised/digital/longarm “Show” and “Art” quilts done by professionals or those with huge budgets (This is another discussion altogether!)

But the overall reason, which astonished me, was… there is nothing I need to buy. It was also added, that after taking into account transport costs, entry ticket etc., it was cheaper to buy things on the internet.

I will be going to the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham this year and parking, entry and fuel for a 200 mile round trip is going to be over £50. So, going to a major quilt show is expensive.

There are a couple of shows I no longer go to… too many vendors, too few quilts. I rarely buy anything because scrappy and re-purposed fabric is my thing; however, I had to agree with others that too many stalls were selling the same thing, especially notions and fabric lines.

There was a survey done recently (Google 2017 Quilter’s Survey) and I do hope the outcome is made available. Perhaps those of us who belong to Quilt Groups and Guilds should contact the shows and give feedback to the organisers.

HettyB