View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 11:31 AM
rryder

Wow! Cari- that's quite a collection. I'm especially fond of the Brother Pacesetters-- someday maybe I'll find one. And I love the B200 hand crank!--again, maybe I'll luck into one someday.

I only have 6 machines and only 3 and 1/2 are vintage.

The Kenmore stays out in one of those Arrow Gidget tables since I use it a fair amount. When I finish quilting one of my art quilts on the PQ1500, I can just turn around in my chair and move the quilt over to the Kenmore to do a rattail binding--it's the only one of my machines that can reliably feed a thick quilt while zigzagging over rattail binding.

The Featherweight goes here and there, whenever I want to sew somewhere other than in my main sewing area. Right now it's in the room where I have my cutting table, sometimes it gets switched to a hand crank and sits in my lap out by the pond sewing crumbs.

The White stays out, and only gets used occasionally since it has a crack in the part of the cam stack that allows the hidden stitches to be used--- but when I want to do something artistically messy, then I use it for that LOL! Come to think of it, it would probably do just as well as the Kenmore at zigzagging rattail binding, and the crack in the cam stack doesn't affect any of the utility stitches... but at 40+ pounds, it's way too heavy for the Gidget table....I leave it out to remind myself to periodically look for an original cam stack for it and because it's one of the ones with the atomic symbol on the metal lid you lift to access the bobbin compartment and when you turn the light on it shines through a cutout spelling WHITE on the front of the head. The coolness factor means it gets special treatment LOL.

The 1/2 vintage machine is my Brother VX560-- it's only 1/2 cause it's from 1980 or 1981, but is all metal except for the cam and it only has 8 or 9 stitches including a satin stitch that you can make decorative by turning the stitch width knob while sewing to make it get wider and narrower-- depending on how you time it, you can get lozenge shapes, or triangle shapes, etc. It is currently put away since I don't have room for it to be set up, but I often switch it out with the modern Brother PC420 since I like sewing with it, at which point it sits in one of those Arrow Sewnatra cabinets.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 06-21-2017 at 11:34 AM.