Thread: Shredding seams
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2017, 05:49 AM
susanwilley

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I looked up the block and after you have fixed these shredded seams, however you do it, I would add a quilting stitch line around each seam on the blocks with a 1/8" seam on each side of the original seams. This should catch your original 1/4" seam and will stabilize the fabric to the batting. If you know someone with a long arm quilting machine, they can do this fairly quickly. If not, just take your time on your home sewing machine. I don't believe that doing a stitch in the ditch will help you with the problem you are having with the shredding. It might just make it worse.

I had a fabric I was using in a quilt start raveling like crazy. It matched the other fabrics so well, that I was determined to use it. For every seam with that fabric, I sewed the 1/4" seam and then went back and sewed a wavy 1/8" average seam closer to the edge before ironing the block or sewing any other parts to it. My wavy seam stabilized the fabric. The quilt has been washed many times and is fine.
This is great! I can do a wavy seam closer throughout the quilt. It may even look like I planned it that way. LOL Thanks so much for your help!