View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 07:18 AM
tropit

This post I just made about the almond milk reminds me of an episode that I had in the grocery store a couple of weeks ago. I had discovered that the bulk section of our local Safeway had organic, raw almonds on sale for $7.99/lb...perfect for making my almond milk and other goodies. I scooped up a big bagful! When I got to the check-out stand, the checker gasped when he was that the cost of almonds was about $18. The lady behind me joined in and gave me a stern lecture on how I should just "do without" instead of spending so much money on silly almonds. I glanced over to her cart and noticed that she was buying 8 or 10, very cheap, frozen pizzas, which I'm sure had to cost more than my almonds, not to mention that they were far less nutritious. Besides, what business was it of hers what I bought?

My $18 worth of almonds have produced several gallons of almond milk, snacks for the hubby and crunchy additions to our salads, granola and other meals, a crumb coating for our "fried" meals, almond meal for my homemade bread, AND they're only half gone. I'm still planning to make yogurt and almond spread out of them, along with more almond milk. A tremendous bargain in my opinion! I probably would have spent close to $100 on these items if I had bought them in the store.

~ C