Thread: Sergers
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 03:11 PM
GingerK

I made a serger quilt years ago. It is my least favorite and has been put on a bed very occassionaly. While I still love the colour choices I made, I think there are several reasons for my lack of love for this quilt.

Firstly, it was a class at my local LQS and instead of refunding my money when there were too few people signed up for the class, they gave me a 'special' lesson. All by my lonesome with the owner popping in once and a while. (BTW they gave me no other option--kind of take it or leave it--but we're keeping your money. That particular LQS closed not long afterward and I am sure it had a lot to do with the owner's attitude)

It was a QAYG using long strips. I did not use the right batting--much too thick for all the layers in the seams. But no one told me that and I struggled with the serger catching the batting and all the strips. The batting also made it very stiff. I have never washed this quilt because I am afraid my seams will unravel.

The whole experience actually put me off taking classes for a while. It was a waste of my time and a fair bit of money.
I have thought about trying that technique again on a smaller scale and with the hindsight of many more years of quilting. I would like to see what technique you use and how you like the result.