View Single Post
Old 06-27-2017, 06:02 PM
letawellman

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
Thanks. The reason I asked the question was mainly curiosity. I have always quilted by hand unless it is placemats, or little wall hangings, and I have many tops waiting. However in our little church group one lady's husband keeps pushing for us to get a long arm and he thinks we will be experts and be cranking quilts for sale to benefit the church. I take his comments with a grain of salt.
For the pushy hubby, find out what his hobbies or interests are - does he golf? work on cars or small engines? do woodworking? Find out, then ask him if a new set of golf clubs or mechanics tools or a band saw mean that someone is automatically a "pro" at doing that. Of course, he's going to say "No!"

Then tell him it's the same thing with the longarm.

As others have said, some people just have a "knack" for doing this - others take a little longer. And having a computer-guided system will not necessarily make it faster/easier/more professional.

I would recommend that several of your group find a nearby LA dealer, and ask for a group demonstration. This should allow several people to "test drive" the machine, and will quickly help you discover who has the "aptitude" for it. Then, if you have two or three who seem to really have "the knack", negotiate a "group price" for the training.

Most of all, you REALLY do need to "test drive" - as many different machines as possible. It's amazing how different the machines can "feel".

Good luck!!