View Single Post
Old 06-28-2017, 03:20 AM
Gerbie

I have a FW and a Bernina 930 that I use all the time. I try to be sure to clean and oil both after 8 hours or so of sewing on them. Think of your machines like automobiles they need their oil changed every 3,000-4,000 miles, so a sewing machine needs a new drink of oil too after miles of sewing, (when I get thirsty I want a drink of water). Both run very smoothly and quietly. I bought 930 new in 1985, and have never had to take it in for repairs. I do my own maintenance.
When I oil my machines, I place a scrap piece of fabric under the presser foot with it in the down position and leave it there all night to absorb excess oil, and run my machine un threaded for a minute or two on another scrap to pick up any oil that might still be dripping down the shaft when I get ready to sew again.
I normally take my to my quilting group once a month but need to do some decorative stitching on the quilt I was working on, so I took 930- one of the oldest ladies in my group came over to look a my block and commented that my machine was the quietest running sewing machine she had ever heard. I informed her how often I clean and oil my machines, so I know it makes a big difference, most of the machines in my group are quite loud and often sound like thrashing machines. I oil or lubricate all moving parts and gears on both. This is my method.