View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 03:11 AM
k3n
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-36049-1.htm

Here’s how I made my ‘Heart of Glass’ wall hanging that I posted recently. I’ve been playing with Quilt As You Go and wanted to come up with a method where you didn’t have to hand sew the strips down on the back. This method has sashing between the blocks on the front – I’m planning to try a way with no sashing at some stage but for now, here goes with the sashed version! There are lots of pictures so I hope you’ll bear with me while I post. This is my first tute so I hope it’s clear enough ! Feel free to ask questions at the end, otherwise.

Tools and materials :

Backing fabric and batting – enough to cut background squares for your project. This can be done from big enough scraps !
Fabric – I used scraps and FQs from my stash, a rough estimate is about a yard and a half for a hanging this size (33 inches x 26 inches approx.) - and some fabric for the sashing (I used black).
Steam a seam or similar ¾ inch wide.
Sewing machine with a walking foot.
Square template in the size of your unfinished block – I used 6 ½ inches.
Rotary cutter and mat, scissors, pins.
Iron and board.

1. Decide on your block size (mine are 6 ½ inches unfinished) and cut squares of batting and backing fabric a good inch bigger all round. You don’t have to be that accurate as you’ll be trimming the blocks later. Cut enough squares for your project – mine is 5 x 4 so 20 blocks.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-20986.jpe