View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 10:16 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Default 4 Patch Posy quilting

Additional info per member: "I thought this was an original design and it is not. The pattern is called Keyboard Kaleidoscope by Marilyn Foreman."

I did not piece this top. I posted a sneak peek here: A little sneak peek of what is on my longarm

I love the colors and design of this quilt. So beautiful to look at while working on it. As with pretty much every custom job I do the quilting is influenced by the piecing and my imagination as well as viewing countless pictures on Pinterest and by some of my favorite longarm quilters. I used designs inspired by The Quilted Pineapple and Green Fairy quilts as well as countless other artists who so graciously post their work on the web. I was so thrilled with the appearance of scalloped edges the curved crosshatch setting triangles formed in the white parts of the quilt I decided to take that circular theme and run with it. So all the block quilting gives the illusion of circles or a circular motion. The icing on the cake.... The back is a whole cloth! This was an unintended bonus as I quilted based on the piecing for the most part. But when I took it off the rack and saw it as a whole I realized immediately the medallion nature of the piecing formed a gorgeous and very unique whole cloth design on the back.

Now here is the big reveal.

Specs: Pattern - an original design built around the 4 patch posy technique impeccably pieced by another board member. Not pieced by me.
Batting: 1 layer of Hobbs Poly Down
Backing: A solid white wideback
Marking done with chalk pencil and clover mark be gone blue water soluble marker.
Quilted on my 26" Innova longarm all hand guided and ruler work
Thread: Glide in White, Cotton Candy (a very light almost white pink) and neon green with magna glide prewound bobbins to match the top thread.
Rulers used. Quilted Pineapple arcs in sized 15" 8" and BFF size. I also used the largest size to help me draft the inner wreath as well as circle rulers and a straight ruler.
Hours spent: 66 1/2

The Top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]575607[/ATTACH]
Some detail shots of the top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]575608[/ATTACH]

I began to think of that spiral feather in the outer border as snails circling a rose garden but they can't get in because of the "wrought iron" quiltwork fence keeping them out. I know I have a crazy imagination. LOL
[ATTACH=CONFIG]575609[/ATTACH]

And now for this quilt's secret identity....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]575610[/ATTACH]

The center block I filled with an oversized double feather wreath and changed the direction of the feathers in the outer ring. Took me 4 times to properly draft and mark that baby out utilizing the arc and circle rulers I had. I even tried the string-pin-marking tool compass method. That didn't work to well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]575611[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]575612[/ATTACH]

As always I look forward to your comments.
Attached Thumbnails dsc06224.jpg   dsc06221.jpg   dsc06230.jpg   dsc06238.jpg   dsc06237.jpg  

dsc06239.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-03-2017 at 06:36 AM. Reason: edited per member request