Old 07-06-2017, 04:27 AM
mmncsw

Default New mechanical (not computerized) machine suggestions with large throat/harp

My grandmother's old Singer touch and sew sewing machine that I've used for years finally went kaput, sadly. I'm now looking to get a new machine for quilting.

I'm looking for something mechanical (not computerized). Ideally I'd want one with a drop in bobbin (not in a case you have to remove). I loved that her machine you filled the bobbin without taking it out, but can't seem to find that in other machines unless I don't know what you call it. I also ideally want a large harp/throat area to quilt larger size quilts. If there was an auto threader it would be great too as my eyes age threading is harder. I also want it to do more than a straight stitch (zig zag) in case I want to try applique or a reverse quilt again.

I've looked at other posts on this forum for advice and the choices are pretty overwhelming.

So far the ones that have appealed to me are the Baby Lock Jazz and Brother PQ1500S but reviews suggest tension and bobbin issues which worry me...does Janome have something like those?...I want a machine that's not fussy...any suggestions?

Last edited by mmncsw; 07-06-2017 at 04:32 AM.