View Single Post
Old 07-11-2017, 04:47 AM
running1

Bree123, she is only 2 years old.... and I'm hoping to get this quilt finished soon... I recently quilted a quilt using 100% wool and loved it! And as you have mentioned, the quilting will be only functional. I have a decision to make now! Thank you to everyone who responded!!! I can ALWAYS count on my quilting friends here on the QB!!

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
I agree that Quilters Dream Request is definitely the thinnest, lightest cotton batting. As a result, the quilting will have very little definition ... but as long as you're okay with that, it's a good option. Typically, the focus of children's quilt is the color and/or motif -- the quilting is more functional than decorative in that case. Cotton is still plenty warm, though, so I'm not sure I would call it "summer weight", just lightweight. I'm not sure how old your granddaughter is, but you might consider Hobbs washable wool. That would be both lighter weight & cooler than cotton, and it provides great definition for quilting. Wool is not recommended for infants as some have a sensitivity to wool and can develop a rash. An 80/20 cotton-wool blend would also be something you could consider. It isn't a whole lot cooler than 100% cotton, but it does provide better definition for your quilting.