View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 08:46 PM
Rose_P

Bearisgray, I can't imagine how it would be helpful to know how people get around in an area that's different from where you are, or is this just for curiosity's sake? If you are truly out in the country, is a bus or subway ever even an option? I'm in a large suburb, almost as big as the biggest city in Kansas, I'm pretty sure, but just a suburb of Dallas, and although the metro area, including our town, has trains and busses, I'm probably about 4 miles from the nearest commuter train station, and as far as I know there's no bus stop near me. Places I go regularly to drive my young grandson to karate, for example, 8 miles, or to go to the grocery store, about 3 miles, the hospital is 5 miles - well, you get the picture. Nothing is a short walk, though if really pressed I could make the 2 miles to a corner that has restaurants, a pharmacy and a gas/convenience store/post office, a dance school and a dog groomer. I'm sure Uber would be an option here, but I haven't looked into it. There's probably cab service, but that would be expensive. Bicycles are an option for some, weather permitting. I'm afraid I'm beyond the age of considering that, though I have a couple of similarly old friends who still ride daily for exercise. Not having a car out here would be awfully inconvenient.