View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 11:04 PM
Sleepy Hollow

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576466[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576467[/ATTACH]

The house, the cherry tree, and the pool... (with a dog in the window)

I grew up in a big green house with a large cherry tree in the front yard. My mom took a lot of pride in that cherry tree. One year, she was gone on a sewing group trip when the cherries ripened. My dad called Gramma (mom's mom), and asked her how to can cherries. Gramma talked him though the canning process over the phone (he had seen mom and gramma can many times, but had never canned himself). He got 70 quarts off of the one tree. He delivered some to my gramma, and every time she had visitors for lunch she'd tell them "My son-in-love canned these!"

We didn't have AC, so every year we would set up a (3 or 4 foot high) swimming pool up in the yard. We lived in that pool, and being a tow-head, my hair would turn green from the chlorine. I remember one year, when I was around 5, I fainted while we were assembling the pool. I remember feeling really hot, and then waking up to my dad covering me with wet washclothes (I even remember the sundress I was wearing). After that, they made sure I was in the shade when we put it together.

I was #4 of 5 kids, and we all grew up in this house.
Attached Thumbnails house.jpg   cherry-tree-pool-edited.jpg