View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 04:22 PM
Sleepy Hollow

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576613[/ATTACH]

Another "Dad block".

My dad is an avid reader and can read a large book in a few hours. When my oldest sister went to kindergarten, she came home from the first day of school crying, because they "didn't teach her how to read". She was so upset that my dad sat down with her and started teaching her.

For us younger kids, he decided that he would not wait until we went to kindergarten, but would teach us to read as early as we could learn. Most evenings (when he wasn't working), we'd sit in his chair with a book that he would read to us. He'd pick out a word (like "and"), and every time we got to that work, he'd stop and we would have to read it. The next night he would add another word. He'd read the same story with us for weeks, if that was what it took to be able to read it by ourselves. I'm not sure how old my two older siblings were, but he had me reading children's books when I was three. I taught my son to read the same way.

My mom was with me when I bought this fabric and thought it was for my son (also an avid reader). Sure, the leftovers will be!