Thread: Meals to freeze
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 05:26 AM
Barb in Louisiana

Chicken and dumplings freeze well, but you have to keep the dumplings out of the liquid gravy, because they will absorb all the liquid. Plain cooked rotisserie chicken in single servings is good too. I put single servings in zip sandwich baggies and then put them in a freezer bag which has been dated and labeled. Mayo does not freeze well. When I am thinking, can I freeze it? I just walk down the freezer aisle in any grocery store and take notes. That's where I get my ideas from. I have a recipe for Sweet & Spicy Beans, which is similar to baked beans and have found they freeze very well. Now, these beans have onions, red pepper, bacon and brown sugar added to them on the top of the stove and then I add the pork & beans, heat, and serve. I don't know how real baked beans which have been cooked a long time would do. Almost any vegetable that you cook from fresh can be frozen. The sandwich bags are cheap and keep the servings separate. They don't stack as nicely as containers would, but they take up a lot less room. I keep a running inventory as to what's in the freezer and when I put it there. Saves forgetting something and it ruining. Extra cornbread is frozen to make dressing with. It's not as good as fresh, but it's not horrible.

Edited to add: I freeze Gumbo, Shrimp or Crawfish Etoufee and other southern Gulf coast dishes. All have done well. Fried seafood, isn't nearly as good the second time around, so I don't freeze those.

Years ago, I made a soup that had all the non-calorie veggies in it, especially a lot of cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, brussels sprouts and whatever else I thought of. It was a Weight Watchers recipe. There were no carbohydrates like potatoes or corn. I used chicken as the meat and chicken broth as the base. This froze and heated up wonderfully.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 07-17-2017 at 05:32 AM.