View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 11:13 AM
alaska_guy

Default Pfaff 360 Machine, a few questions.

I just purchased a pfaff 360 machine to go through heavier material like nylon/poly/light canvas materials. The wife currently has a fancy Viking/Husq machine but its plastic and I did not want to tax that machine with heavier garment materials.

The machine seems like it will be a great workhorse but I have a few basic questions...

This machines top stitch is GREAT, the bottom side of the stitch with the machine going forward looks good, however when I go backwards it looks a little sloppy. IE: not exactly a straight stitch on the bottom, its offset a little. We have played with tension and it's cranked all the way up to 10. We played with the settings and 10 seems the best.

Could the cause be her needle size or thread type? She is using upholstery thread and what looks to be a 16 gauge needle. We were using a 14 guage needle with the blue color indicating its for heavier fabrics on her viking. Her viking sews better stiches, but it doesn't like to handle the material, where the Pfaff eats it like butter.

Also, is there a way to reduce the gas pedal so the machine doesn't sew like a jet? I was thinking of placing a block under the pedal so she can only press down so far. It seems the machine only has slow or full bore. We also have to help it through the fabric by hand when pushing the pedal as to not make the machine go full bore. I imagine this is due to a learning curve with the gas pedal as she currently has a computer setting of speeds on her viking.

She was in tears last night because the machines stitches were not good and she kept fighting with the foot pedal. We checked the tension, made sure the bobbin was in correct in the bobbin holder, etc etc. We have the original manuals and checked 5 times.

This machine is strictly for straight stitching thicker materials like outdoor fabric for patio furniture. She is looking for a good way to make the machine sew at a consistent rate and the only thing I could think of was put a block of wood under the gas pedal so it only goes down so far, that way she could always put the pedal to the floor and not worry about it

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by alaska_guy; 07-20-2017 at 11:16 AM.