View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 09:20 AM
alaska_guy

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
Nice to hear it's working out. I'm sure you will get along with the machine. The controller should have gradual speed. There's a condenser in there you might as well take out, at least if it's not already taken out or replaced by a new one. They are old now and tend to act up 50 years after the machine was new (...full speed all the time, machine running on its' own, blowing fuses,...). The controller is usually fine when it's removed. There's usually an adjustment screw in these old controllers too. I'm sure the service guys are all onto it :- )
Thanks again. So, just when I thought I had it licked... Apparently my machine must be missing a piece because the tension doesn't stay put. I found a youtube video that shows a clicking noise to keep the tension spring in place. Mine does not make that clicking noise and I can not find the area to pull the thread in order to make it "click".

I used to be a mechanic and now work on computers so I can figure things out. I need help with the tensioner lock "part name" or whatever you call the item so I could replace/add it myself if possible.

3:18 seconds on the video. It looks like there is a machine part that is supposed to cover the tension discs and always keep the tension spring set by "clicking" in place. I don't see that on my machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP_Mw2KlD9s&t=229s

On another note, I was at the thrift store yesterday and found a gem! Well what I think is a gem. $49.99 for this singer 403 with table, all original manuals, cams, a dozen feet and other odds and ends. This thing sews like a dream and looks like it was better maintained. Shows VERY little wear on the machine itself. I tried the cams out and all seem to work and it sews beautifully. It doesn't go through the plastic backed material very well compared to the pfaff, but I imagine that's due to its .75 amp motor vs the 1.5amp pfaff motor.

On this listing you can clearly see the hook/lock that is used to keep the tension in place. This is for a 332/230 model. Maybe the one in the video is different? I don't see anything about clicking anything into place in my manual, but my singer manual doesn't say anything about it either, and it DOES have that piece.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pfaff-332-23...3D311904219752

Last edited by alaska_guy; 07-21-2017 at 09:34 AM.