View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 04:52 PM
athenagwis

I agree, after looking at some stuff online, I think the fabric is from the 40s. Thanks everyone for your opinions!! Unfortunately there isn't enough here to really make a good size quilt, so I will most likely have to add some (especially for the whites, I know I don't have enough of that). So unless I can get lucky and find a much of 40s flour sack white it will have newer fabric in it. But I am okay with that as I want it to be loved more than I want it to be authentic. Though i think I will wash a piece with detergent in cold water (just as I will the quilt, and see if some of the grime goes away, I'd hate to use a cream color for the rest of the hexies (since that's kind of the color of the fabric) only to wash the finished quilt and the older ones come out sparkling white! :) :)

I saw a beautiful hexagon quilt that someone had posted (not sure if it was here or flickr), where her great grandmother had hand quilted just inside the shape of each hexie as a border. I think I am going to do the same. I thought it brought out the design so beautifully. I have never hand quilted before, but it just seems such a waste to hand piece the entire thing and then have the part that people actually see be machine done (trust me though I will machine piece and quilt every single other quilt I make! :))

Thanks everyone for all your help, and yes Baywatch, I do often take my fabric out on dates, it helps me to really get to know them, make sure they'll be a good fit for my lifestyle. Though sometimes I will just make them dinner at home, mainly to ensure they are proficient at washing dishes. I know a fabric is a keeper when it washes my dishes. :) :) :) :)

Cheers!
Rachel