View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 04:50 PM
Irishrose2

I breast fed all of five of my children for 6 months each, then switched to formula in glass bottles. They were given one 4 ounce bottle a day of water or formula from birth so they would become accustomed to taking a bottle. The nipples were breast shaped which probably helped. I was a huge milk producer which was convenient for at least two. When #1 one was in the hospital, there was a little boy not making it so they used my oversupply of milk to keep him alive. After I went home, I pumped milk for him - the hospital provided sterilized bottles and a cooler for transport. My MIL worked at the hospital, so it just went to work with her. A bother? yes, but he lived and eventually they found food he could tolerate. Daughter #2 was a projectile vomiter, so her first meal came back up and I had to feed her again. The second meal stayed down. Weird. So I needed lots of milk as she was a big girl with a healthy appetite, as were #1 and #5 (boy). #3 And #4 were moderate eaters. Why nurse a baby in the era when it wasn't popular? Economical, always ready, good for the baby and the mother and ever so satisfying emotionally for both.
Baby food - Gerber did a good enough job until they could eat what we ate - probably about a year.
Diapers - soft flannel that had to be folded. No disposables in 1958. The 1967 baby had the first ones, but they were too bulky as she was tiny. The 1971 baby wore disposables when we traveled. He was not tiny!
Bibs - anything, cloth first, then plastic or terry with plastic backing.
What do 'modern' babies have that I covert?? Nothing, really. I think they have too much. I would have liked a swing for my earlier ones. A highchair, a bouncy chair, a crib, a stroller, a blanket on the floor and a swing for the later ones was enough paraphernalia.