View Single Post
Old 07-29-2017, 07:10 AM
Endora

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
I bottle fed both (30's now) with those Playtex bottles that had a plastic liner that collapsed as they drank and didn't require boiling everything to sterilize. I had C-sections with both--the 2nd was a VERY difficult attempt at a vaginal delivery before an emergency C-section and I was in bad,bad shape when I got home--staph infection too. I also went back to work 6 weeks after first and 5 weeks after 2nd. And at that time teachers that breast fed better plan on pumping during lunch only in the bathroom--so using bottles were a no-brain decision.

no bibs until they started eating cereal and baby food--which for that generation was discouraged until about 5 months old--but my son started draining and collapsing bottles at about 8 weeks and always hungry so Dr gave ok to go ahead with cereal.

Both my kids where cloth diaper babies at home--doubled at night--but daycare insisted on disposables which were not very good then. With first baby, my MIL gave us 12 weeks of diaper service--what a blessing! I would just set the diaper pail on front porch and would get a sack of fresh, folded diapers each week--especially wonderful for a Mom recovering from a C-section, with a baby and a 40+ week job. Wish they had that kind of service now.
I remember those Playtex bottles with drop-in liners. I never used them, but do recall seeing a lot of them in the 80's when my kids were little.

As for bib use, I practiced the same in my home as you did, bibs for when they started eating solids.

Double diapers, oh yes. Boy, was that the standard or was that the standard. I introduced every one of my kids to double diapers early on... as in long before they were even crawling. I always preferred the absorbency of doubled-up diapers. If I was doing the baby thing again today, I would definitely sign-up for diaper service after each baby's birth. As you mentioned, great for a sore and tired mom.