View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 01:06 PM
Bree123

Type of batting & density + curviness of quilting lines generally makes a bigger difference in crinkling than whether or not you pre-wash. I pre-wash everything due to being severely allergic to sizing (which is in most commercially produced fabric). With cotton batting, quilting lines that are typically around 3/4" apart and lots of curvy designs, I get plenty of crinkling.

I do not press fabric straight out of the dryer. I iron the larger pieces & press them once they're cut. And I starch heavily -- much more heavily than when doing home dec pieces or garment construction. On the rare occasion that I do not pre-wash my fabrics (e.g., when starting a project in a class at the quilt shop where I receive my new kit the day of class), I still press & starch that fabric and have not noticed that it crinkles much more than the one I've pre-washed. I only wash my quilts in cold water & dry on low heat because that improves the longevity of cotton fibers, so I can't say whether I might get a different result if I were to wash/dry on higher settings.