Old 07-30-2017, 02:56 PM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Default Ohio Star scrap quilt sneak peek - what the crazycatlady is up to

I call this quilt "East meets Midwest". The classic Ohio star block (the Midwest) done with a very Asian theme (the East). Still have not put hardly a dent in the Asian scrap bin but I am having fun. This started as an exercise in making hourglass blocks and Ohio Star is a good block to use up hourglasses. I designed the quilting first. Well, had an idea of what I wanted to do with the blocks. So the quilt came out of my idea for the quilting. This will be gifted to my mom when it is done.

Long shot of the quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]577708[/ATTACH]

Here is a close up of one of the blocks completely quilted out and the border. The border is a stencil and I sprayed with hairspray to keep the dilute blue chalk (pounce I mix blue and white) from bouncing and rubbing off. This way I could measure out and mark the stencil before loading. Works well. In areas where the chalk is too faint, I went over with a blue water soluble marker.
For a change I decided not to ditch the stars. Instead I used a tight fill up to the seam line. I am pleased with the result. It is quicker than ditching. The ruler work (circle) is slow enough.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]577710[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc06253.jpg   dsc06246.jpg  

Last edited by feline fanatic; 07-30-2017 at 02:59 PM.