View Single Post
Old 08-04-2017, 06:28 PM
JustAbitCrazy

I like the chalk wheels, too, but watch using colored chalks. Sometimes the colors are hard to remove.

When I want to mark on a light fabric, I use the Roxanne silver pencil. She makes a white pencil, too, for dark fabrics. Those are both very nice, and won't harm cotton fibers over time.

I've also used the Ultimate Pounce in white chalk when tracing a stencil. It's fast and makes a nice line you can see. (I once had trouble getting the blue pounce powder off a quilt so I no longer use the blue chalk in the pounce) Most of that brushes off just from handling the quilt while quilting.

Sometimes I use the Ultimate Pencil for light fabrics, which is a mechanical "lead" pencil and makes a very thin light line.

When longarmming I sometimes use the white blacklight powder (mixed with some plain white chalk for economy) to trace a stencil onto a white fabric. The powder is white and hard to see on a white fabric until you darken the room and use a blacklight to see, when it glow fluorescent green. There is also a blacklight pencil.

Another way I mark when longarmming is to use a thin permanent marker on Miracle Film. Miracle Film is a water soluble stabilizer made by Marathon. Make sure the permanent marker is really dry (overnight is good) so your needle doesn't transfer black dots to your fabric. Stitch on the marked lines right through the Miracle Film, and tear it off. I've never had to wet it to dissolve it because it's perforated all over and tears off so easily. I like it better than Golden Threads paper.