View Single Post
Old 08-04-2017, 07:37 PM
FroggyinTexas

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Why we still like to get a printed newspaper:

We like to do the puzzles - we do them using an ink pen - and with a beverage nearby to sip on while working them. One can do them "anywhere"

They are more portable than a desk-top computer.

One can cut out articles and send them to friends.

One could color the comics if they are printed in black and white.

Even though the papers have shrunk in size and content, I still like having something to touch.

It's easier for me to read from paper than from a screen.

My son likes (loves) to read the ads and clip coupons. In fact, DH and DS Sunday morning conversations revolve around the ads - and really goes on and on if one of their favorites is not included in that edition! Or the paper is not delivered.

I like the advice columns. My DH likes the opinion section.

If one saves the papers, one can go back and re-read an article at one's leisure and comfort.

Do you still get a printed newspaper?

Thanks for your reasons for getting a printed paper. I am a reporter who works for a small daily paper in New Mexico. We do not have a TV station that serves our community and local radio stations do not provide coverage of events that are important for people to know about. Those include local election campaigns, school board meetings, city council meetings, county commissioner's meetings, high school and local college sports events, engagements, births, deaths, accidents, crimes, etc.

Local newspapers are generally the only reliable source of local information. Readers can call the editor/s or reporters for more information about a story or to give them praise or criticism. Readers' concerns are far more likely to be considered and questions answered by a writer who spends several hours interviewing people about an event or an issue, completing whatever other research is required to make the story both informative and interesting, and then spending even more time writing.

I love the Internet and the computer world, but as my daughter has pointed out many times, what is written on paper is a far more reliable archive than what is written only in digital form and can be changed with a half dozen key strokes.

I hope those of you who have given up your local newspapers will re-consider.

Peace and grace to each of you and to all whom you love. froggyintexas