View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 06:50 PM
amma
Power Poster

I have always had jobs that were very hard on the hands, and I was always crocheting or doing some kind of craft work too. I have had tendinitis, and currently have arthritis and fibromyalgia in my hands, I ended up being sent to an occupational therapist. I was advised to wear rubber finger tips, the little fingers (like surgical glove material,) gloves that have the rubberized bumps, rubberized handle scissors, or use the needle grippers whenever possible. The idea behind it is this, if you grasp with something that "grips" you do not have to grasp it as hard. They said theoreticcally, it will allow you to do 2-3 times as much with less strain on the hands. We should also do "warm ups" before using our hands, the same as we are advised to do before excercising. I was also told to set a timer and make sure I stretch my hands and rest them for a few minutes after 30-60 minute periods of time. Also, that if you have neck and shoulder strain being hunched over a project, the strain will follow down your arms and into your hands, (also all the way down your back too.)